The Accountability Lab is building a new generation of active citizens and responsible leaders around the world. We support changemakers to develop and implement positive ideas for integrity in their communities, unleashing positive social and economic change.
We are seeking a junior staff member to support the Accountability Lab South Africa (AL SA) team during a time of exciting change and growth. We are at an advanced stage of consolidating a new and ambitious program which is scheduled to kick-off in February 2022, and our new team member will be a critical team-member to gearing AL SA for success.
The Operations Coordinator will provide administrative support in a fast-paced, mission-driven, and results-oriented environment and will serve as the glue that keeps the team and the organisation moving towards its goals. Working closely with the Country Director for South Africa, the Operations Coordinator will provide administrative and operational support. There are also opportunities for travel as well as writing and publishing professional work.
Assignment Duration : annually renewable performance-based contract starting 01February 2022
Reports to : Country Director for South Africa
Remuneration : R18,000.00 pm
Location : Johannesburg, South Africa
The Operations Coordinator will be a key member of the team, working to ensure that the Lab’s growing portfolio of projects and knowledge are coordinated effectively, efficiently and transparently.
The Operations Coordinator will, first and foremost, lead the Lab’s efforts to deliver on projects against agreed deliverables and timelines, and support design, planning and reporting against grants. The Program Coordinator will also liaise with other key team members to ensure harmonization across the various grant and project-related elements of the Lab’s work including finances, monitoring, evaluation and learning, as well as strategy. The Lab is a learning organization and it is also expected that the Operations Coordinator will understand and appreciate how to support the Lab to include learning and adaptation into everything it does.
The Program Coordinator will be a key point of contact for the Lab with partners on issues related to project delivery and will report to the AL SA Country Director who will have overall responsibility for internal systems and project implementation. The Lab’s ongoing projects include Integrity Icon, the Conversation Lab series, an Incubator program, and other ongoing special projects.
Our ideal candidate is a recent graduate majored in a social science who is looking for a job to launch your career or an early career development worker with finance and operations experience in a people-driven organisation. You have a multicultural background and/or experiences, and can demonstrate your ability to communicate and collaborate in a culturally sensitive way. You are interested in the world around you, and you are keen to support a team that is making a difference in the world. You’re excited to learn and develop your skills, you love taking the initiative, and are always up for learning new ways of doing things.
You energetically lead the administrative work for the team by staying extremely organized. You can start with a long list of to-do’s, be nimble as unexpected things change your day, and are able to communicate clearly with your team members. You can complete projects without an exact roadmap for how to get them done and have a demonstrated ability to prioritise effectively when handling multiple assignments and competing deadlines. You are capable of setting realistic deadlines and find enjoyment in completing tasks and delivering outputs.
You have a clear appreciation for how sound operational procedures underpins organisational success, and are an outstanding verbal and written communicator. A strong orientation towards the details is indispensable in this role, as are demonstrable budget development, monitoring and accounting skills. You must have a good knowledge of using Microsoft Office and are comfortable with the Google suite of online tools.
- Supporting the Country Director and other AL SA staff with general administrative duties including, but not limited to: scheduling meetings; managing the team calendar and appointments; corresponding with donors and partners; and coordinating travel arrangements for the team and program partners;
- Leading implementation of AL SA’s knowledge-management framework;
- Support the Lab’s ongoing learning efforts through data collection, synthesis and analysis to ensure projects are meeting goals and are adaptive based on the context;
- Coordinating the preparation, proofreading, production and distribution of reports, agendas, presentations, blogs and other technical records as assigned.
- Documentation of team meetings, calls and managing timely follow-ups on decisions, action-points and assignments.
- Other operational and administrative tasks as requested by the global team.
- Supporting the development of budgets, cash flow management, and reviewing payments and disbursement packages;
- Ensuring compliance with AL SA Financial Management Policies and all donor-related obligations;
- Reconciliation of all banks and sub-ledgers, financial analysis, supporting project staff with provision of advice and reports.
- Monitor the Lab’s internal project reporting calendars and contribute to project reporting processes to ensure accurate and timely submission of proposals, reports and other outputs; and
- Produce internal progress reports and report to the larger team as assigned.
Above all, this position requires a superb understanding of adaptive finance and compliance techniques. It requires excellent attention to detail, interpersonal and relationship management skills. Personal integrity is of the utmost importance in this role, as the Operations Coordinator will be expected to operate with a high degree of integrity and fairness. The successful candidate will also need to be able to work within a dynamic and culturally diverse team, embodying the organization’s commitment to accountability, transparency and equity. We seek a sound record of professional responsibility and delivering on programmatic goals with integrity and humility.
- University Graduate with up to 2 years’ experience in- or Matric with up to 5 years’ experience in a people-driven operations or finance environment in South Africa. Experience in a non-profit is desirable but not a deal-breaker;
- Demonstratable competency using Microsoft Office, Google Suite and other relevant computer programs. Experience with online accounting programs such as QuickBooks, Sage or Xero is desirable;
- Adaptable, resourceful, self-motivated and able to prioritize in a fast-moving environment;
- Proactive, highly organized and meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to problem-solve both big-picture and day-to-day issues;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate with clarity and professionalism to all relevant stakeholders (staff, board, donors and partners);
- Commitment to the Accountability Lab’s values of integrity, innovation, humility, practicality, and collaboration;
- Ability to work and communicate in indigenous South African languages is considered an asset.
To apply, please send us your comprehensive CV and a motivation letter telling us why you are interested in this role to: [email protected] using the subject line: Application – Operations Coordinator by Friday 26 November 2021.
Women, LGBTIAQ+ people and members of other marginalised groups are encouraged to apply. The Accountability Lab reserves the right to not make an appointment for this role. We regret, we may only consider applications from candidates with the right to live and work in South Africa.