Accountability Lab (AL) Nigeria is a part of a trans-local network that makes governance work for citizens around the world. We support active citizens, responsible leaders and accountable institutions to unleash positive social and economic change. With the Labs’ decade of collective experience on issues around governance, community building, and accountability and integrity, there are three mutually reinforcing objectives to:
- support a positive movement to build accountability and democracy;
- ensure the voices of communities are heard on accountability issues;
- support collaboration around accountability and open governance through unlikely networks.
Read more about our Theory of Action here.
The Communication intern will be part of the Communications team of Accountability Lab (AL) Nigeria, and provide support to the communications department. Depending on skillset, this individual will assist with tasks including, but not limited to: supporting the execution of AL Nigeria communications strategy, writing and editing articles for blogs, managing AL Nigeria social media contents and channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, social media analytics, etc.), graphic design, digital asset management. This internship is a 6 month, full-time, paid internship for young graduates. This role requires an energetic, dedicated and detail-oriented person who is a team-player with willingness to learn while adapting to shifting priorities.
- Support the management and development of social media content related to AL Nigeria programs optimized for engagement, as directed;
- Assist the communication team with the conduct of interviews and webinars;
- Support in managing the communications department social media calendar;
- Schedule meetings and set up promotional materials for events;
- Create and design digital materials for program activities, edit and format photos for social media engagement;
- Support writing articles for blogs, interviewing, event coverage, write photo captions, related to AL Nigeria programs;
- Provide support in monitoring and documentation of AL Nigeria media mentions;
- Perform any other comms-related tasks assigned.
This position requires a superb understanding of Communication techniques. It requires attention to detail and professional communication skills. The successful candidate will need to have the energy, vision and knowledge of the Communication field to use and improve what we do, while working under supervision. The successful candidate will also need to be able to work within a dynamic and culturally diverse team, embodying the organization’s commitment to accountability, transparency and equity.
Qualifications and Skill required:
- Degree in public relations, journalism, mass communication, digital media, graphic design or a development-related field and 1-year experience (relevant NYSC experience in the related field);
- Knowledge of publishing and graphics design software (InDesign/Photoshop/ Canva/Corel Draw)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, content management systems, and social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Youtube, and Instagram).
- Adaptable, team-player, self-motivated and able to prioritize in a fast-moving environment;
- Highly organized and meticulous attention to detail; Ability to collect and synthesize information from diverse sources;
- Creativity and interpersonal skills;
- Written and verbal communication skills; writing ability and experience with writing stories;
- Commitment to the Accountability Lab’s values of integrity, innovation, humility, practicality, and collaboration.
Reports to: Communications Lead
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Application Instructions: To apply, search for AL Nigeria Communications Intern on LinkedIn or send a cover letter and CV to [email protected] on or before August 20, 2021. Please use “AL Nigeria Comms Intern Application” as your reference.