Terns of Reference: Strategic Communications Manager
Accountability Lab (AL) supports active citizens, responsible leaders and accountable institutions. We work with creative change-makers to develop innovative, positive ideas for integrity in their communities around the world. By building diverse coalitions to generate the knowledge, skills and networks needed for accountability, we unleash positive social and economic change. AL Nigeria is a part of a translocal network globally-read more about our Theory of Action here.
Recently, the Lab has become more involved in international anti-corruption and accountability advocacy efforts, including around the G20 Anti-Corruption Working Group; and the US Government’s Summit for Democracy.
The Strategic Communications Manager will provide strategic inputs and operational support to the implementation of the AL strategic communication. In line with the communications strategy, he/she will work under the guidance of the Country Director and the programmes team to produce high impact deliverables – such as case studies, discourse events, website update, knowledge sharing events, online resource platforms, media products, and media engagement approach – that are relevant for brand building, stakeholder engagement, and visibility.
This position is expected to identify and implement the right strategies for behavioural change and social norms messaging related to the ever-evolving context of Nigeria, as well as ensure all AL Nigeria’s project relevance for policy advocacy.
This is a full-time, senior management role and will require technical rigor and leadership skills as well as hands-on capabilities in research, technical writing, concept design and implementation. The Strategic Communications Manager will provide inputs into the development of strategies, processes, and initiatives to improve AL mission, program delivery, and operations.
We are seeking an energetic, dedicated and detail-oriented person who is a team-player with willingness to learn from and with teammates while adapting to shifting priorities in a fast paced environment. Excellent writing skills and a keen interest in accountability and anti-corruption issues at the national and international levels is key.
Strategic Leadership and Direction:
- Overall responsibility for the AL Nigeria communications strategy and plan. This includes:
- Overall strategic approach to communications;
- Governance, gender and social-inclusion sensitivity;
- Communications protocols;
- Social media approach and protocols;
- Media engagement/audience development;
- AL branding and marking guidance for all multi-media products;
- Compliance (e.g. copyright and data protection).
- Increase AL Nigeria’s visibility and maximize coordination with partners and beneficiaries. Work in close collaboration with internal counterparts and external partners to strengthen the quality and consistency of the AL’s advocacy work;
- Conduct regular evaluations of communications outcomes, and adjust the strategy as needed.
Product Production and Dissemination
- Develop external communications including, but not limited to, success stories, policy papers, issue briefs, and other materials;
- Lead the process to produce and/or solicit, finalize and disseminate a range of regularly written products for AL Nigeria’s programs, including, but not limited to: quarterly and annual reports, monthly updates, success stories, policy papers;
- Copy-edit a wide range of written products; provide quality assurance related to informational content and product development including presentations, factsheets, one pagers, case studies, success stories, and the preparation of talking points;
- Develop advocacy content for strategic behavioural change communications campaigns and policy change efforts;
- Research, analyze, draft, and recommend public policy positions aligned with AL mission and strategic plan;
- Review and evaluate related government reports, legislation and policies;
- Determine the benefits and drawbacks of existing policies;
- Propose suggestions and liaise with partners and stakeholder to improve the effects of policies;
- Edit and amend policy drafts as required;
General Communication Responsibilities
- Monitor the Nigerian and international press for news related to governance issues in Nigeria and related to AL Nigeria’s work;
- Liaise with the AL Global communications team to share photos, stories, and other marketing material for regular AL website updates;
- Approve material production with the Program team, Admin team and external vendors;
- Support the programs team where applicable in developing SOWs to identify the needs of activity partners/beneficiaries, and help target audiences better understand AL programs;
- Collaborate with Programs & Learning Manager (PLM) on integrated activity plans and reporting requirements;
- Collaborate with the Country Director on proposal writing. Implement communications aspects of AL fundraising strategy, including end-of-year and other fundraising campaigns.
This position requires a superb understanding of communication techniques. It requires attention to detail and professional communication skills. The successful candidate will need to have the energy, vision and knowledge of the communications field to improve what we do, while working under supervision. The successful candidate will also need to be able to work within a dynamic and culturally diverse team, embodying the organization’s commitment to accountability, transparency and equity.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree strongly preferred) in public relations, journalism, public policy, Behavioral Change Communications or a development-related field;
- 5+ years of relevant experience designing and managing communications and outreach strategies for complex development programs;
- Knowledge of publishing software (Photoshop/Canva and others);
- Proficient in audio engineering, Microsoft Office, content management systems.
- Adaptable, team-player, self-motivated and able to prioritize in a fast-moving environment;
- Highly organized and meticulous attention to detail. Ability to collect and synthesize information from diverse sources;
- Creativity and interpersonal skills;
- Policy advocacy, research, and strong writing skills will highly be considered;
- Excellent English written and story-telling skills;
- Commitment to the AL’s values of integrity, innovation, humility, practicality, and collaboration.
Reports to: Country Director
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Application Instructions: To apply, search for AL Nigeria Strategic Communications Manager on LinkedIn or send a cover letter and CV to [email protected] on or before April 30, 2021. Please use “AL Nigeria Comms Manager Application” as your reference.