Terms of Reference: Program Coordinator
The Accountability Lab is building a new generation of active citizens and responsible leaders around the world. We support changemakers to develop and implement positive ideas for integrity in their communities, unleashing positive social and economic change.
Accountability Lab South Africa (AL SA) seeks to appoint a Program Coordinator on a short-term basis to be based in Johannesburg, South Africa. The Program Coordinator will primarily focus on coordinating implementation on our flagship Integrity Icon Campaign and supporting our other projects as assigned.
Assignment Duration : starting ASAP to 31 December 2021
Reports to : Country Director for South Africa
Remuneration : R18,000.00 pm
Location : Johannesburg, South Africa
The Program Coordinator will be a key member of the Accountability Lab South Africa (AL SA) team, working to ensure that the Lab’s growing portfolio of projects are managed effectively, efficiently and transparently. The Program Coordinator will first and foremost lead the Lab’s efforts to deliver on projects against agreed deliverables and timelines, and support design, planning and reporting against grants. The Program Coordinator will also liaise with other key team members to ensure harmonization across the various grant and project-related elements of the Lab’s work including finances, monitoring, evaluation and learning, as well as strategy. The Lab is a learning organization and it is also expected that the Programme Coordinator will understand and appreciate how to support the Lab to include learning and adaptation into everything it does.
The Program Coordinator will be a key point of contact for the Lab with partners on issues related to project delivery and will report to the ALSA Country Director who will have overall responsibility for internal systems and project implementation. The Lab’s ongoing projects include Integrity Icon, the Conversation Lab series, an Incubator program, and other ongoing special projects.
We are looking for a curious and ambitious self-starter; a problem solver with a can-do attitude and a learning mindset to support with day-to-day coordination of our Integrity Icon campaign and other projects. You should have some grounding in project coordination, convening dialogues and telling stories that inspire change. You are a talented networker and relationship builder who is able to problem solve with and motivate a small but distributed team to achieve their goals.
Our ideal Project Coordinator is an independent worker with excellent time-management and organisational skills. They have a sound knowledge of program management and development procedures, and are an outstanding verbal and written communicator. A strong orientation towards the details is indispensable in this role, as are sound budgeting, bookkeeping and accounting skills. You must have a good knowledge of using Microsoft Office and are comfortable with the Google suite of online tools.
To apply, please send us your comprehensive CV and a motivation letter telling us why you are interested in this role to: [email protected] ASAP using the subject line: Application – Program Coordinator. The Accountability Lab reserves the right to not make an appointment for this role. We regret, we will only consider applications from candidates with the right to live and work in South Africa.
Project Coordination (60%)
- Work with the Country Director and other AL staff to coordinate and ensure project outputs are delivered on time and within budget;
- Support the design, implementation and oversight of Accountability Lab’s projects related to accountability, transparency, youth engagement and citizen participation;
- Build relationships with key partners and stakeholders in the projects including donors, communities, the media and other civil society organizations;
- Support the Lab’s ongoing learning efforts through data collection, synthesis and analysis to ensure projects are meeting goals and are adaptive based on the context; and
- Coordinate project activities to ensure effective implementation including events, trainings and outreach.
- Work with the Country Director to develop results-based frameworks and impact measurement tools for all projects and ensure data;
- Integrate a learning mindset and approach into all projects, ensuring that feedback and data is used to improve activities over time;
- Gather and analyse project learning data, as assigned, in line with MEL framework; and
- Support the Lab’s internal monitoring, evaluation and learning processes including annual impact and learning reporting and ongoing iterative data collection processes.
- Monitor the Lab’s internal project reporting calendars and contribute to project reporting processes to ensure accurate and timely submission of proposals, reports and other outputs; and
- Produce internal progress reports and report to the larger team as assigned.
Above all, this position requires demonstrable project management skills, attention to detail, interpersonal and organizational skills. Accountability Lab South Africa has the potential to grow very quickly and the successful candidate will need to have the energy, vision and knowledge of the program implementation field to help us deliver on commitments and to improve what we do. The successful candidate will also need to be able to work within a dynamic and culturally diverse team, embodying the organization’s commitment to accountability, transparency and equity. We seek a sound record of professional responsibility and delivering on programmatic goals with integrity and humility.
- University Graduate with up to 3 years’ experience in- or Matric with up to 5 years’ experience in implementing programs in South Africa, including project design, coordination and reporting;
- Experience conducting program trainings and mentoring;
- Demonstrated competency using Microsoft Office, Google Suite and other relevant computer programs;
- A proactive leader, communicator and team player;
- Adaptable, resourceful, self-motivated and able to prioritize in a fast-moving environment;
- Highly organized and meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to problem-solve both big picture and day-to-day issues;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate with clarity and professionalism to all relevant stakeholders (staff, board, donors);
- Commitment to the Accountability Lab’s values of integrity, innovation, humility, practicality, and collaboration.