The Accountability Lab Nigeria supports active citizens, responsible leaders and accountable institutions. We train, mentor, and resource citizens to strengthen systems of accountability to unleash positive social and economic change. The Lab also strives to reinvent the way that development organizations operate through radical accountability, context-appropriate reporting, and creative awareness campaigns. Accountability Lab Nigeria is seeking a dynamic, experienced and creative individual to fill the position of Project Officer. The Lab is especially keen to review applications from suitably qualified female candidates and candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Project Officer will be a key member of the Accountability Lab Nigeria team, working to ensure that the Lab’s growing portfolio of projects are managed effectively, efficiently and transparently. The Project Officer will lead the Lab’s efforts to deliver on projects against agreed deliverables and timelines, and support design, planning and reporting against grants. The Project Officer will also liaise with other key team members to ensure harmonization across the various grant and project-related elements of the Lab’s work including communications, monitoring, evaluation and learning and strategy. The Lab is a learning organization and it is also expected that the Project Officer will understand and appreciate how to support the Lab to include innovation, learning and adaptation into everything it does.
The Project Officer will report to the Lab’s Programs and Learning Manager in Abuja who has overall responsibility for project implementation. The Lab’s ongoing projects include Integrity Icon; SDG 16 Innovation Challenge and Accountability Incubator to support young people with creative ideas around accountability, access to justice and rule of law; Voice2Rep, a music campaign to develop socially conscious music; and the Civic Action Teams, a pioneering citizen feedback, dialogue and community voice platform. Women, those from minority groups and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Support the design, implementation and oversight of Accountability Lab’s projects related to accountability, transparency, open governance, youth engagement and citizen participation;
- Ensure projects are meeting goals and are adaptive based on the context, and ensure project outputs are delivered on time;
- Lead training/ workshops were relevant to project implementation, outreach, community-building and reporting;
- Embed better integration of gender related aspects to the work plan and ensure that activities are implemented, recorded, reported and analyzed to improve the gender equality;
- Undertake regular field trips to the project sites with the purpose of performing program quality assessments; develop reports and make a follow up on recommendations.
- Support the Lab’s internal project reporting calendars and processes to ensure accurate and timely submission reports and other outputs;
- Produce internal progress reports and report to the larger team on a weekly basis on progress;
- Provide the necessary support in coaching, guidance for associates, consultants and volunteers that will boost their capacity to deliver results;
- Integrate a learning mindset and approach into all projects, ensuring that feedback and data is used to improve activities over time;
- Support the Lab’s internal learning and evaluation processes including annual impact and learning reporting
- Embraces new approaches on program implementation
Above all, this position requires a superb understanding of program design, management, implementation and reporting. It requires excellent management skills, attention to detail, interpersonal and organizational skills. The successful candidate will need to have the creativity, vision and knowledge of the program implementation field to help us deliver on commitments and to improve what we do. The successful candidate will also need to be able to work within a dynamic and culturally diverse team, embodying the organization’s commitment to accountability, transparency and equity. We seek a demonstrated record of assuming significant professional responsibility and delivering on programmatic goals with integrity and humility.
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of project implementation for international donors in Nigeria, including project design, management and reporting;
- University degree in relevant discipline including international development, sociology, social science or equivalent.
- Experience conducting program trainings and mentoring;
- Demonstrated competency using Microsoft Office, Excel, Powerpoint and other relevant computer programs;
- A proactive leader, communicator and team player;
- Adaptable, resourceful, self-motivated and able to prioritize in a fast-moving environment;
- Highly organized and meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to problem-solve both big picture and day-to-day issues;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate with clarity and professionalism;
- Commitment to the Accountability Lab’s values of integrity, innovation, humility, practicality, and collaboration;
- Experience in capacity building for governmental and CSOs/ NGOs;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures.
Duration: Three-month trial period as part of a one-year contract with the possibility for renewal
Reports to: Programs and Learning Manager
Location: Abuja with extensive travel across Nigeria.
Compensation: Competitive, commensurate with skills and experience. Additional benefits include: health insurance, group life, and communications stipend.
Application Instructions: To apply, please send a cover letter, CV and salary expectations to [email protected] by 1700 hrs on or before October 16, 2020. Please use “AL Nigeria PO Application” as your reference. The position will begin October 26, 2020.