The Accountability Lab is building a new generation of active citizens and responsible leaders around the world. We support changemakers to develop and implement positive ideas for integrity in their communities, unleashing positive social and economic change.
We are seeking an experienced staff member to support the Accountability Lab South Africa (AL SA) team during a time of exciting change and growth. We are at an advanced stage of consolidating a new and ambitious program which is scheduled to kick-off in February 2022, and our new team member will be a critical team-member to gearing AL SA for success.
Accountability Lab South Africa (AL SA) seeks to appoint a Program Officer to be based in Johannesburg, South Africa. The Program Officer will primarily focus on leading the effective design and implementation of our Activist Media Incubator initiative, and supporting related aspects of our programs and campaigns as assigned.
Assignment Duration : annually renewable performance-based contract starting 01February 2022
Reports to : Country Director for South Africa
Remuneration : R22,000.00 pm
Location : Johannesburg, South Africa
The Program Officer will be a key member of the Accountability Lab South Africa (AL SA) team, working to ensure that the Lab’s growing portfolio of projects are managed effectively, efficiently and transparently.
The Program Officer will first and foremost lead the Lab’s efforts to deliver on Activist Media Incubator against agreed deliverables and timelines, and support design, planning and reporting against grants. The Program Officer will also liaise with other key team members to ensure harmonization across the various grant and project-related elements of the program including finances, monitoring, evaluation and learning, as well as strategy. The Lab is a learning organization and it is also expected that the Programme Officer will understand and appreciate how to support the Lab to include learning and adaptation into everything it does.
The Program Officer will be a key point of contact for the Lab with partners on issues related to project delivery and will report to the ALSA Country Director who will have overall responsibility for internal systems and project implementation. The Lab’s ongoing projects include Integrity Icon, the Film Fellowship, the conversation Lab series, and other ongoing special projects.
We are looking for a curious and ambitious self-starter; a problem solver with a can-do attitude and a learning mindset to lead implementation of our Activist Media Incubator program while supporting other projects. You should have demonstrable experience in project management, community organising, supporting local advocacy and telling stories that inspire change. You are a skilled media-maker with a background in mobilising multimedia for accountability and social impact, and are curious about trying new and diverse approaches to bringing media to bear in solving community problems more than merely reporting them to elites.
You are a talented networker and relationship builder who is able to problem solve with and motivate a small but distributed team to achieve their goals. You are an experienced convenor and trainer with a knack for consensus-building in a diverse and multicultural environment. You also have a strong learning orientation and an interest or some experience in delivering applied learning trainings on media and accountability issues.
Our ideal Project Officer is an independent worker with excellent time-management and organisational skills. They have a sound knowledge of program management and development procedures, and are an outstanding verbal and written communicator. A strong orientation towards the details is indispensable in this role, as are sound budgeting, and reporting skills. You must have a good knowledge of using Microsoft Office and are comfortable with the Google suite of online tools.
Project Management (60%)
- Work with the Country Director and other AL staff to coordinate and ensure project outcomes and outputs are delivered on time and within budget;
- Lead the implementation, oversight and adaptation of the Activist Media Incubator project to promote accountability, transparency, youth engagement and citizen participation;
- Build relationships with key partners and stakeholders in the projects including donors, community action groups, the media and other civil society organizations;
- Lead implementation of the Lab’s learning efforts on this project through data collection, synthesis and analysis to ensure projects are meeting goals and are adaptive based on the context.
- Work with the Country Director to develop results-based frameworks and impact measurement tools for the project;
- Integrate a learning mindset and approach into the project, ensuring that feedback and data is used to improve activities over time;
- Gather and analyse project learning data, as assigned, in line with MEL framework; and
- Support the Lab’s internal monitoring, evaluation and learning processes including annual impact and learning reporting and ongoing iterative data collection processes.
- Monitor the Lab’s internal project reporting calendars and contribute to project reporting processes to ensure accurate and timely submission of proposals, reports and other outputs; and
- Produce internal progress reports and report to the larger team as assigned.
Above all, this position requires demonstrable project management skills, attention to detail, interpersonal and organizational skills. Accountability Lab South Africa is growing very quickly and the successful candidate will need to have the energy, vision and knowledge of the program implementation field to help us deliver on commitments and to improve what we do. The successful candidate will also need to be able to work within a dynamic and culturally diverse team, embodying the organization’s commitment to accountability, transparency and equity. We seek a sound record of professional responsibility and delivering on programmatic goals with integrity and humility.
- University Graduate with up to 5 years’ experience in- or Matric with up to 8 years’ experience in implementing programs in South Africa, including project design, coordination and reporting;
- Demonstrable competency using Microsoft Office, Google Suite and other relevant computer programs;
- Demonstrable experience in a media production, media management or media advocacy environment, with a track-record in high-impact community organising and advocacy
- Demonstrable experience in community organising and supporting high-impact advocacy campaigns;
- Experience conducting trainings and mentoring;
- A proactive leader, communicator and team player;
- Adaptable, resourceful, self-motivated and able to prioritize in a fast-moving environment;
- Highly organized and meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to problem-solve both big picture and day-to-day issues;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate with clarity and professionalism to all relevant stakeholders (staff, donors, partners);
- Commitment to the Accountability Lab’s values of integrity, innovation, humility, practicality, and collaboration.
To apply, please send us your comprehensive CV and a motivation letter telling us why you are interested in this role to: [email protected]bilitylab.org using the subject line: Application – PO – AMI by Friday 26 November 2021.